About us

History


A brief history of education in Mäetaguse 

Education in earlier Mäetaguse Municipality has a quite long history dating back to several centuries.

 The earliest notes about schooling in our area are from year 1752.

Namely, in old church documents there had been a citing of a passing of a male school teacher named Juhan in Kalina village near Mäetaguse. He had died at the age of 69. After that there had been references to other school teachers in our area and their decease as well as mentioning of several village schools such as Võide, Võrnu, Ratva and Atsalama.

In the following short directory we mark down some important dates in our school’s history.

In the records from year 1837 Mäetaguse manor private school (Privatschule) was mentioned.

The first school house in Mäetaguse was built in 1846.

In the 1870s Mäetaguse school was turned into municipal school.

In 1905 baron Konstantin von Rosen, the owner of Mäetaguse manor had a new school house built.

From year 1923 the schooling took place in the manor house.  

The school had two forms (classes) and four parallel classes.

In 1919 a third form (one class) was opened.

Mäetaguse Primary School

In 1923 the school was brought to Mäetaguse manor house where, in addition to the 5th, the 6th form was opened.         

Võide village school and Mäetaguse school were joined together.

School worked with three with composite classes.

               Mäetaguse Six-Year School

From 1945 Mäetaguse was Incomplete Secondary School.

From 1953 Mäetaguse was 7-Year School.

In 1960s Russian speaking primary classes were opened.

From 1962 Mäetaguse was 8-Year School.

In 1982 a new school house was opened.

Russian speaking basic school classes were added.

From 1988 Mäetaguse was 9-Year School.

Since 1990 the name Mäetaguse Basic School is used   

In 2001 a new renovated school house was built.

In 2012-2013 there were thorough renovations in the school house, after which a new library and assembly hall were built.

During 2012-2013 the handicraft house was built from an old manor granary.    

brief history of education in Mäetaguse

Education in earlier Mäetaguse Municipality has a quite long history dating back to several centuries.

The earliest notes about schooling in our area are from year 1752.

Namely, in old church documents there had been a citing of a passing of a male school teacher named Juhan in Kalina village near Mäetaguse. He had died at the age of 69. After that there had been references to other school teachers in our area and their decease as well as mentioning of several village schools such as Võide, Võrnu, Ratva and Atsalama.

In the following short directory we mark down some important dates in our school’s history.

In the records from year 1837 Mäetaguse manor private school (Privatschule) was mentioned.

The first school house in Mäetaguse was built in 1846.

In the 1870s Mäetaguse school was turned into municipal school.

In 1905 baron Konstantin von

Rosen, the owner of Mäetaguse manor had a new school house built.

From year 1923 the schooling took place in the manor house.

The school had two forms (classes) and four parallel classes.

In 1919 a third form (one class) was opened.

Mäetaguse Primary School

In 1923 the school was brought to Mäetaguse manor house where, in addition to the 5th, the 6th form was opened.

Võide village school and Mäetaguse school were joined together.

School worked with three with composite classes.

Mäetaguse Six-Year School

From 1945 Mäetaguse was Incomplete Secondary School.

From 1953 Mäetaguse was 7-Year School.

In 1960s Russian speaking primary classes were opened.

From 1962 Mäetaguse was 8-Year School.

In 1982 a new school house was opened.

Russian speaking basic school classes were added.

From 1988 Mäetaguse was 9-Year School.

Since 1990 the name Mäetaguse Basic School is used

In 2001 a new renovated school house was built.

In 2012-2013 there were thorough renovations in the school house, after which a new library and assembly hall were built.

During 2012-2013 the handicraft house was built from an old manor granary.

A